François Declercq's Reviews > Bearing an Hourglass

Bearing an Hourglass by Piers Anthony

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from July 14 to 24, 2011

After reading On a Pale Horse, I decided to look into the second novel of Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. I'd heard this book wasn't as good as the first but wanted to cast my own judgement on it.

After reading about a third of the novel, I was surprised about the criticism it had received. I was finding it just as interesting as On a Pale Horse with the tale of a man, Norton, accomplishing a service to a ghost and it ending tragically. He then takes up the role of Chronos, the incarnation of time as a way to apologize for his mistreatment.

However, once he gets into his new office, the book just goes downhill. There is enough to make it readable but I didn't enjoy how the main character is projected into parallel universes and faces sci-fi and heroic fantasy adventures, it takes the focus away from the main subject of the book. It was like Anthony wanted to throw in a bit of Xanth and his sci-fi novels to spice things up, but it just wasn't necessary. And then, if this wasn't enough, the ending was just cut short and disappointing as a whole.

It was nice to see characters from On a Pale Horse return and gave a sense of nostalgia from time to time but it wasn't enough to make it exceptional. Another sore point was Anthony's persistence to explain time and space in the most minute detail, I don't really care how the Universe works.

I'll soon be reading the third in the series, With a Tangled Skein, which will hopefully bring the saga back up to a level closer to On a Pale Horse. Kind of like Dream Warriors did with the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bearing an Hourglass.

07/14/2011 page 64