Nick's Reviews > Childhood's End

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: sci-fizzle
Read on June 27, 2011

Unlike Isaac Asimov, Clarke's characters have depth, nuance and reality to them. In addition to this, his stories are filled with the wonderful hard sci-fi crack you are used to from Asimov.

Childhood's End has quite a few twists and turns, and you'll notice a lot of similarities to V during this alien invasion, similarities which Clarke notes in the introduction. Fortunately, Clarke's aliens are not trying to find and extract the human soul. The twists weren't the ones I expected - and were sometimes quite bizarre. I mean that in a good way!

The copy I read had a rewritten first chapter that places the humans on Mars as a result of their space race as opposed to the Moon. This was a choice by Clarke to make the book (written in the fifties, I believe?) more modern.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Childhood's End.

06/26/2011 "Will the aliens try to find and extract the human soul, like on the V reboot? LET'S HOPE NOT."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't get me started on Asimov's characters. He's great and all, but characterisation was not his strong suit...

Nick Testify, Sean. I loved Foundation and Nightfall, but the characters were about as interesting as a play starring wet, moldy pieces of cardboard.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan wrote: "Testify, Sean. I loved Foundation and Nightfall, but the characters were about as interesting as a play starring wet, moldy pieces of cardboard."

Especially his married couple in Foundation. When they were first introduced, I assumed they were supposed to be scientists going to a conference together or something. Apparently having people say 'honey' to each other all the time makes them seem affectionate?

(And I still haven't read Nightfall. I guess I probably should.)

message 4: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe More reviews from you sir, please.

Nick No one should call each other "honey" unless it's for the sake of humor!

Nightfall is interesting and different, but not spectacular.

Peter "and you'll notice a lot of similarities to V during this alien invasion, similarities which Clarke notes in the introduction." Hmmm, I think this predates V. It was written in 1954.

Nick Peter wrote: ""and you'll notice a lot of similarities to V during this alien invasion, similarities which Clarke notes in the introduction." Hmmm, I think this predates V. It was written in 1954."

Yes. If anything V took it from Clarke, but I assume it's relatively trope-ish ideas anyway.

Steve Wasling Yeah the comments about V (the original, not the remake) were from an updated edition that featured a new first chapter and a new introduction from the author.