Nick's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: sci-fizzle
Read from June 29 to July 03, 2011

I loved parts I & II, but I felt III didn't quite live up to the others. In the introduction, an author talks about the difference between "fiction" and "literature" and how she feels that A Canticle for Leibowitz is the latter. If you differentiate between the two by grand aspirations on the part of the author on what the work is supposed to accomplish, I'd have to agree. Part III is totally necessary to tie everything up, but it's just not as engaging and interesting as parts I and II.

The amount of thought and work that Miller put into this book makes it worth reading all on its own. Even though the threat of a global nuclear holocaust is gone, I don't think that the book's main conflicts and ideas have aged poorly. The interplay between faith, politics and science and how the interrelations of this trinity (ha ha! a pun!) change over time is an interesting topic in and of itself.

Four LGM-118A Peacekeeper missiles out of five. Very well written, almost a five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

06/30/2011 page 106
32.0% "Mmm, pastrami."
07/01/2011 page 197
59.0% ""A PASTRAMI SANDWICH FOR LEIBOWITZ" If I ever open a Jewish deli, this is what it will be called."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Rachel Hartman I loved this book so much when I was 14. I should probably read it again and find out whether it's any good. If there is pastrami, as you say, I don't see how one could lose.

Nick I'm lovin' it so far. I've always found pastrami to be the most literary of all the seasoned, cured meats.

Rachel Hartman There's a Rachel in the book, too. Another sign of quality.