JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > The Phantom of Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery

The Phantom of Pemberley by Regina Jeffers

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: could_not_finish, unrated, fiction, nook

The author tries a little too hard to copy Austen's "voice" and it fell very flat for me.

"'Must we?' Elizabeth Darcy gave her husband an expectant look. 'I so enjoy being alone with you--away from the responsibilities of Pemberly.'"

Flat yet nauseatingly sappy. Not a good combination for me.

The phrases from Austen's original work that were inserted actually distracted me rather than adding to the book. It was quickly turning into a game of Spot the Original Phrasing.

"Darcy took in her countenance. Hers was a face he had once described as being one of the handsomest of his acquaintance, but now he considered that compliment a slight to the woman. Her auburn hair, her fine sea-green eyes, her pale skin, her delicate features, and her heart-shaped face made her a classic beauty, and Darcy thought himself the luckiest of men."

I have to admit that it somehow seems wrong to read about Elizabeth and Darcy in bed together as well.

I think I read the first chapter and decided life was too short. Moving on.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom of Pemberley.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenifer Rosenberg I completely agree with everything you said. I went on to read the whole thing, and the mystery aspect was terrible. You made the right decision to quit while you were ahead!

JG (The Introverted Reader) Good to know!