Pauline 's Reviews > Only Time Will Tell

Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer

Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, fiction, own
Read from August 03 to 08, 2011

I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and I am extremely glad that I did.

"Only Time Will Tell" takes us through the life and times of Harry Clifton, the son of a shipyard worker and a waitress. This tale is told in different perspectives of people that are involved in Harry's life. Through these different perspectives we slowly learn about the mystery surrounding Harry's father and the the things that tie all of the people in the book together. This first book in the series shows us how Harry grew up and the fostering of his close friendships that take him through his elementary school all the way past college into WW2.

I really enjoyed this and was completely surprised at how hard it was to put down. When I first won it, I was extremely hesitant on how much I would like it. I usually don't normally read books of this genre so I was worried as to how much I would enjoy it. Lo and behold, I LOVED it. It is fabulously well written and flows very nicely from chapter to chapter and from character to character. It very much resembles a puzzle, with each perspective change, you learn more about Harry and the motivations of the people around him. All of this ultimately coalesces into a larger picture of Harry's past. The characters in themselves are very well written and it is easy to emphasize with their situation and seethe reasons behind their decisions. The ending also really makes me want to pick up the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Time Will Tell.

08/07/2011 page 117
26.0% "Enjoying this more that I thought I would. Totally nothing like what I expected."
08/07/2011 page 243
54.0% "Completely unrelated, but I love how this book opens and the was the pages splay out without cracking the spine."
show 1 hidden update…