Mojca's Reviews > Charmed

Charmed by Beth Ciotta

What do a pink-wearing/bubbly/fairy-tale loving/slightly air-headed "Princess Charming", a former (I know there's no such thing!) Marine turned protector, an FBI agent deep undercover, a drug-busting operation, an overprotective P.I, his recently pregnant wife, a man-hating actress wannabe, and a gay couple have in common?

No, there's no punchline. What they have in common is this book. Which started rather iffy, if you ask me, because we're immediately hit with the heroine living in perpetual denial, a throwback to the Victorian times, hating violence, performing as Princess Charming for children, juggling at a casino, and viewing the world through her rose-tinted glasses. I kept waiting for someone to slice her throat and introduce the real heroine of the story, but it soon became apparent I was stuck with his...air-headed, bubbly, TSTL thirty-one-year-old. Wait? Come again? How old is she?!
That poor hero of hers. How is a guy to protect someone who is in denial of being in danger...in denial about everything, actually?

Well, their "association" started rather unpromising, let me tell you. How was I to believe a seasoned Marine, a realist, someone who's seen the world at its most ugly, would fall head-over-heels for someone so different for him (and don't give me the "opposite attract" speech!) in a matter of minutes? I'm still kinda skeptic about that part, mind you.

But after a while, the heroine turned out to be like mold. She grows on you. Slowly. And the bubbly, pink, TSTL persona turned out to be only one facet of her multi-layered personality (some might call her a schizo, even). And I actually started to like her, and I finally could understand the hero's fascination. She still had her TSTL moments, though.

There was also suspense, which somehow rode in the backseat...And somehow I was rather comfortable with that. It wasn't that the suspense sub-plot was bad, quite the contrary, this could've been a great suspense book, but it took the backseat to the romance and the comedy (provided so generously by the heroine). We had multiple stalkers, a possible majorly obsessed stalker, a mob family, an FBI agent working undercover, and an Ecstasy-pushing ring about to go down in flames. What's not to like about that? And no, it didn't seem crowded.

What seemed crowded was the rest of the story, with 4 different plots going on (hero/heroine, gay couple, P.I/pregnant wife, heroine's man-hating sister/her ex/men in general/FBI agent). Some of the scenes (not with the hero/heroine) seemed rather redundant and slightly filler-ish, but that's probably because this is the second book in a trilogy.
Still, it got pretty crowded out there, let me tell you.

All in all, after I got over the whole "the heroine is an idiot" (which was only a couple of chapters into the book), I could finally sit back and enjoy the ride. And it was quite a ride, quirky, funny, sexy, hot, romantic, sometimes TSTL (thanks to the heroine), scary, silly, suspenseful...But most of all, very well-written. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed.

07/01/2011
44.0% "Finally she sees reason. Sheesh, but the heroine is in such a denial it makes my teeth ache. Not to mention the distractedness, pink, and overblown imagination. Only her protective streak prevents her from descending into TSTL/airhead territory."
07/01/2011
52.0% "Russel the love muscle! ROTFL"
07/01/2011
54.0% "Sadly, it occured to her, maybe it was time for her to grow up. Yes, please, do."
07/01/2011
100.0% "...review to come"

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barks & Bites (new)

Barks & Bites Loved the mold comparison and the throat slitting. That's my kind of review.