Darlene's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, arc, goodreads-giveaway
Read from January 06 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I won this ARC in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

This is a dystopian novel that is the first in a planned trilogy, which takes place entirely in space aboard a spaceship called the Empyrean. At some point of time in the future after Earth has been destroyed, the inhabitants of the Empyrean and their allied spaceship, the New Horizon, are planning a colony on New Earth.

Interestingly, the inhabitants of the two spaceships were separated into secular (the Empyrean) and non-secular (the New Horizon). The story has a “good versus evil” feel to it, but the people don’t fall onto the side that you initially would expect.

The protagonist in the story is Waverly Marshall, a 15 year-old girl whose father was killed in an accident aboard the Empyrean when she was just a child. A love triangle between Waverly, Kieran (the 16 year-old boy to whom she is betrothed that is next in line to take over as Captain), and Seth (a 16 year-old boy whom she has been friends with since childhood and secretly longs for her) is hinted at but it doesn’t really develop in this book.

The story starts off with a bang when armed men from the New Horizon spaceship come aboard the Empyrean and gather all the girls together and move them to their spaceship. The Captain of the New Horizon, Anne Mather, tells the girls that they were rescued and brought there for their own protection because of an air lock malfunction on the Empyrean that caused an explosive decompression.

When Kieran learns that there are no children about the New Horizon and that all of the women are infertile, he realizes that there is more going on than anyone is aware of.

Glow is fast-paced with a lot of action! The story is told from the alternating points of view of Waverly and Kieran, and I always find that I enjoy books with multiple narrators. Waverly is a strong and smart heroine. What she does is admirable, and I liked her character although I wish she was a little more complex. I enjoyed Kieran as well, but I feel as though I didn’t really learn much about Seth aside from the fact that he is somewhat dark and dangerous. I hope that Ryan digs deeper into their characters.

What I enjoyed even more than the teenaged stars (Waverly, Kieran, and Seth) are the villains. Ryan has done a fantastic job creating so many ne’er-do-well characters and, at times, Ryan had me second-guessing who could be trusted!

The only thing that I didn’t like about Glow was that the latter half of the book felt “preachy” to me. I don’t normally have problems with books that include references to Scripture, but there was something about Kieran’s transformation that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, I still really enjoyed the book and the storyline has hooked me. I am looking forward to seeing where Ryan takes us next in Spark, which is due to be released in July 2012.

MY RATING: 4 stars! I really liked it and would recommend it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.