Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > The Renegades of Pern

The Renegades of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from November 17 to December 22, 2011, read count: at least twice

This Pern book took me a little longer to become 'personally' involved in, and I think that's because the characters at the beginning were not particuloarly likeable. The boy Jayge could have had more of an emphasis, and the author could have been a bit more sympathetic to him. Maybe McCaffrey didn't feel so strongly about him herself because he wasn't one of the dragonriders or harpers or those other people with that affinity to telepathy. Also, the person focused on changed quite a lot, and that was necessary to tell this particular story, but I think it could have been done better.

Nevertheless, I ended up enjoying this and reading it rapidly once I got into it. One thing I really like about McCaffrey's Chronicles of Pern is the way she interweaves the characters throughout each book. Many books are more or less concurrent, but they flesh the characters out more, and they uncover more of the history of Pern in a way that includes adventure and sometimes intrigue, and always that delightful link between humans and dragons and fire-lizards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Renegades of Pern.

12/19/2011 page 188
12/19/2011 page 188
48.96% "This one took a while to get into - old favourite characters didn't make appearance for some time, and none of the new characters were particularly compelling. However, I'm enjoying it now."