Celia Powell's Reviews > Madigan Mine

Madigan Mine by Kirstyn McDermott

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books, australian-author, spec-fic, horror
Read in June, 2011

I've tagged this as horror, because that seems to be how it's marketed, but that's not really how I thought of it - it's a dark story, definitely, a disturbing story in parts, but horror? I don't know. I'm not exactly a horror reader, so I'm not sure what the markers of a horror story would be. I picked it up because I love listening to Kirstyn on the Writer and the Critic podcast - and I have a fairly good track record with progressing from thinking an author seems interesting to enjoying their books.

Anyway - in Madigan Mine, Alex runs into a childhood friend, Madigan, who quickly becomes deeply involved in his life - they have a possessive, abusive relationship. And then Madigan kills herself. Alex is trying to grieve, but he's having blackouts and losing time - and he thinks he can hear Madigan's voice.

When Madigan Mine started, I thought it would be a ghost story - which it kind of is, but it's far far creepier than that. I really enjoyed it - well plotted, terrifying scary (ok, maybe it is horror after all), and a spectacularly chilling ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madigan Mine.