Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath by Brodi Ashton (Everneath #1)
Pages: 384
Release Date: January 24th, 2012
Date Read: 2012, January 10th-12th
Received: ARC from NetGalley
Rating: 5/5 stars
Recommended to: 14+

SUMMARY -
Nikki Beckett has just been released from the Feed - from Cole. She has spent a century in the Everneath, allowing Cole to Feed off her energy, her emotions, for his own gain and the gain of the Everneath. She'd wanted him to, begged him to. Her hurt had been too great.
But now that she's back in her own world, her own time, she does not like her two choices - either return with Cole and possibly become Queen of the Everlings or go to the Tunnels and become a battery for the Everneath. She would rather sacrifice herself to the Tunnels than be fed off of forever, but as she grows stronger, she wonders if she can escape her fate?
Whether she can or not, she's determined to leave right - not like last time, when she'd just fought with her father and her boyfriend had broken her heart. But here and now, her heart seems to be drawn yet again to that same boy. Can she do the right thing with her friends and family - and possibly evade the Tunnels? Time is running out.

MY THOUGHTS -
Tomorrow is the release date of Everneath. Early in the morning, I will hurriedly get dressed, grab my keys and my purse, drive to the nearest Barnes and Noble, and purchase this book. I will probably scream happily and do a little joyful jig and stare longingly at the cover and thumb through the pages, my heart thumping excitedly, like I've received a surprising and long-awaited Christmas present.

This is not an exaggeration. I am 95% certain that's exactly how it will happen. The remaining 5% leaves room for variation in how much and/or what kind of screaming, jigging, and thumbing I will do. The rest is set in stone.

Wanna know why?
I'm madly in love with this book. Every. Last. Letter. Down to the dotted I's and crossed T's. Down to every apostrophe and period and exclamation point. Down to the very paper it was printed on - no! Even better - the press that made it!! The fingers that typed that first draft of a manuscript and every draft thereafter should be covered with diamond rings and kissed by all who pass.

I. AM. AMAZED.
(Understatement.)

CHARACTER NOTES -
These characters all stand out as likable - whether because they're good good guys or good bad guys. Or good in-between guys you can't decide about yet. But even more than being good characters - they're memorable, every single one.

Nikki is a great MC. Her voice reflects her character, on the quieter side, a girl who loves deeply, someone who never wishes to hurt others but is hurt easily by others. She's not weak, just sensitive. She's sweet and smart, but she also runs from pain, doesn't like confrontation and will do all she can to avoid it. These things add up to make Nikki who she is - one of those perfectly imperfect characters who you respect from the start, even if they have some growing to do.

Cole and his buddies are mysteries, very fascinating ones, totally puzzling, in a good way. Cole is kind of like an antagonist, even though he's not exactly the "bad guy". I'm so intrigued, but still, he doesn't even compare....to....

*breath hitches in throat - heart stops*

Jack Caputo. Jack Caputo.
Jack. Caputo.

Yes, you heard me.

J. A. C. K. C. A. P. U. T. O.

*Falls into chair with dramatic sigh, hand on forehead, fist at the chest*
*Knees go week and whole form begins to crumple*
*Heart begins to thump exceedingly loud and fast*
*Mouth opens in pure awe*
*Giggles like a schoolgirl at the very sight of his name*

Take your pick. Any will apply, all with apply. There are others, too.

I loved the way he was content just to be with Nikki. How honest he was. How he responded to Nikki's situation. How everything he did was so...Jack Caputo.

I could go on.
Excuse me for a moment while I give a few fangirly screams.

STORY NOTES -
I never can stay away from retellings. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't. They draw me. This story is kind of a mix between a retelling and a twist...of the story of Hades and Persephone, which makes it even more amazing because mythology is something else I find extremely fascinating and hard to stay away from.

Ashton's version does not disappoint, in any way. I feel like, after an accomplishment as great as Everneath she could write anything. I hope she does. I hope she writes and writes and writes - because this story is basically my one true love, my happily ever after.

Every moment had me riveted. I loved how slowly everything about Nikki's past was revealed, which gave me time to contemplate everything. It also built the characters more smoothly than if the flashbacks hadn't been there.

The romance held something more than your typical YA romance. Not only was it sweet and innocent, not only did it give me butterflies and heart flutters, but it had already happened! I won't say any more...I honestly can't describe it - you must experience it.

The pace of this book is definitely fast, but while I read it I felt like I was experiencing everything in a time frame of the six months Nikki had. But it still went by so fast...I don't know how to explain it. Just know that I was never once bored or wishing more would happen. This book seriously has allllll the good stuff!!

SUMMING IT UP -
Everneath will evermore be one of my ever-favorites. Please hurry, Brodi and Balzer + Bray!! I'm just...speechless. Still. And so, so please. Buy. This. Book.

For the Parents -
Some kissing, passionate but very sweet. Jack's past includes some sleeping around, but he wishes he could change that. Nikki is once afraid that Jack will pressure her to sleep with him but he says he won't, and doesn't. He is very respectful of her wishes. Some underage teens spend time at clubs, but nothing inappropriate happens. Some very brief, mild language. Recommended 14+

*This ARC copy was provided by NetGalley (thanks a million!!) in return for an honest review. I was in no way compensated; all thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

01/08/2012 page 17
01/09/2012 page 61
16.0% "Trippy!! But I'm totally enjoying myself and intrigued by everyone and everything..."
01/11/2012 page 150
63.0% "mmmmmmm..........."
01/12/2012 page 240
100.0% "WHAT?!?!?!? How did - did you - ohmigosh - what the - did that really just happen?!?!?! ooooooooohhh MY gosh. I'm buying this one as sooooon as it comes out. No questions asked, no second thoughts."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Valentine OH MY GOSH, I KNOW!!! This book was SO GOOD! :)

message 2: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams WASN'T IT?!?!?! Ohhhh my heart is bursting with love for this book. No joke. :D

message 3: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah UGHHH!! I need to read this!!

message 4: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Leah wrote: "UGHHH!! I need to read this!!"
Yes, very much so, you do!! NOW! ;) It was just...mmmmm...love.

Kristy I love your fangirling.... and I wish I could have loved tihs one as much as you!!! :)