Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Ashes of Midnight

bookshelves: i-own
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert **

*Contains detailed sex scenes*

When I first started this book I wasn’t quite sure of I was going to like it. While I’ve liked Andreas in the past and was eager for more of him, I wasn’t quite sure if Clare and the past he appeared to share with him would appeal to me. Usually I’m not a fan of the kind of situation she was in with Roth and it still seemed odd to me at times, but still found this book to be enjoyable. I will say it wasn’t one of my favourites in the series and I can’t see it being that memorable, but it was worth reading as part of the series.

I really felt for Andreas in this book. He’s been such a good, noble friend to the Order since he was introduced in Tegan’s book and it was sad seeing him go through so much. He lost so much in recent times and went from being a strong sophisticated male to very broken and a shadow of who he used to be. I wasn’t expecting his ability to be what it was, nor was I expecting it to consume him so. He certainly never showed signs of this in all the other occasions he appeared in the series.
Honestly, I didn’t feel much for Clare. I wanted to, I really did, but I just didn’t. She was an ordinary heroine. I liked that she was brave during everything, and that she loved Andreas but she just didn’t appear to me in a unique, strong way. I never felt much for her and she wasn’t memorable in my eyes.

The romance between the two was alright, although in my eyes it held none of the passion and fever that I’ve found it my more beloved couples in this series. Personally I didn’t see the spark between them. Their history together helped build a good foundation for them, but their romance just didn’t blow me away.
I loved seeing some of the warriors and their Breedmates working together so much in this book and this was probably the highlight for me. It was so great to see some of my fave couples.....Tegan and Elise, Niko and Renata and Rio and Dylan.....back again a bit in this book. I love them all and they certainly made this book for me.

I know it may sound horrible, but I think I may have loved this book more if Andreas had been matched with a different heroine. It may just have been me, but Clare was lackluster in my eyes and because of this the book fell flat. Still, I’m looking forward to reading the next one and continuing on with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Midnight.