Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Veil of Midnight

bookshelves: i-own
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert **
*Contains detailed sex scenes*

Yet another great book in the Midnight Breed series. I admit, I had my doubts about this series in the beginning. I still don’t love the first two books all that much, but they seem to be getting better with each book. I can still draw some similarities with this and other books I’ve read and the characters aren’t exactly anything I haven’t seen before, but ever book is a nice relaxing, enjoyable read.

Nikolai is a hunk. Pure and simple. I’ve always had a thing for Russians since a certain Dimitri Belikov of the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead and every time I come across a Russian hero, be it vampire or otherwise, I tend to love him a little bit more. Nikolai is a great male lead. He’s funny and witty and has no fear even in the face of death. I think he’d the kind of man who’d die laughing and this came through with everything he went through. It was nice seeing a woman bring him to his knees and actually worm her way into his heart.
I found Renata to be an amazingly strong heroine. I think she’s my fave out of all the female leads we’ve met so far. She’s been through so much and yet she’s never let it destroy her or her ability to love. Granted she’s never fallen in love with anyone before Niko, but I loved seeing those bone deep feelings she had for Mira. That child was her whole world and there was nothing she wouldn’t have done for her.

I must admit that sometime the romance between Nikolai and Renata seemed a tad quick, but I guess you have to expect those quick, strong emotions that come with these kinds of books and romances. I’m not saying there was anything wrong with it, just that that was the case. I enjoyed the romance between Niko and Renata and like the moments they spent together. I think it’s so sweet, that Nikolai the carefree one of the Order has his own family now. Renata and Mira are certainly not what Niko was planning to acquiring when he travelled to Montreal, but I don’t think he’s complaining.

I love the family aspect and sense of togetherness that’s forming within this series. It’s so sweet. As each male is mated off and more Breedmates come into the fold it seems to become a more loving world. And with eight-year-old Mira now part of the family and Tess and Dante expecting, things seem to be changing more. I think Hunter is an intriguing inclusion to the series and I look forward to seeing his involvement in future storylines, although I’m really sad about what happened to Andreas. He seemed like a great guy and I did like his relationship with Helene. I think he really loved her and it’s horrible the way things ended for them. I can’t wait to see him find some happiness in his book though and I’m interested in learning more about the history he has that was hinted at in Veil of Midnight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Midnight.