Brandy's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Mar 29, 14

bookshelves: 2008reads, teen, library, boy-books, realistic, 2014, for-work, parents_exist
Read in March, 2014

I'm still surprised at how hopefully this ends, and maybe a little saddened by it now in the wake of Vizzini's recent suicide. This book gave--and gives--hope to depressed and anxious teens, teens buckling under the stresses of their lives; I hope Vizzini's decision doesn't undo any of the good his book has done.

(this sounds so judgmental, like I'm blaming him for not beating his own demons; I honestly am heartbroken that he found no other options.)

(first read March 2008)

Craig has worked harder than he ever has before to gain entrance to his exclusive, academically-rigorous school. But once he's there, he's overwhelmed to discover that he's not as smart as his classmates, he can't keep up, and he's vomiting regularly from the stress. He signs himself into the hospital on the advice of the suicide hotline, and most of the novel is spent in the psychiatric ward.

As usual, Vizzini's ear for teen voices is pitch-perfect. There are some criticisms that Craig accomplishes an awful lot of healing in his 5 days in the hospital, but I think it's because he's given the time away from his stresses (his "tentacles") to determine what he needs and truly wants (his "anchors"). And really, even if that's not the case, is it so bad to read a book with a hopeful, positive ending?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.

message 1: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Fidler I just checked this out from the library!