JC's Reviews > Size Doesn't Matter

Size Doesn't Matter by Meg Cabot

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, food, humour, mystery, new-york, popular-culture, romance
Read from June 25 to 29, 2011

My concerns that Heather would get fatter and fatter with each book until Heather Wells mystery number 22: "You Say Morbid Obesity, I Say More to Love" are not totally dispelled. I love a cookie or two and a bowl of chips with my beer but this girl never developed a healthy attitude to food (eat your feelings much, Heather). Some of her food choices made me feel kinda ill and sad. Vegetables are actually a wonderful thing. Caffeinated beverages with chocolate syrup and whipped cream? Not so much. I know this is fiction and it is supposed to be fun, but for all the humour and great characters, the attitude to food and eating in this series always made me uncomfortable, unless it was a proper meal cooked by her dad and accompanied by a nice wine. This is definitely the weakest of the three novels in the series, largely because of the slightly hurried and all-too-neat ending, where all the characters we've come to know and love (and be concerned about their dietary habits) are paired off nicely. If Cabot had slowly paired people off over a couple more books, it wouldn't have been so bad but everyone in one fell swoop? I guess we're supposed to put it down to love being in the spring air, but I put it down to bad writing and maybe someone realising that the series wasn't going any further past the third book. Nevertheless, in many ways it was the same enjoyable fluff one has come to expect from Cabot and the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Size Doesn't Matter.

Megan Wilson People are emotional eaters..... I am, so is Heather Wells. If it bothers you, don't read it. I can relate as an emotional eater

message 2: by JC (new) - rated it 2 stars

JC I understand what you are saying but it was a serious flaw in the development of her character. If she is an emotional eater and she is still abusing her body like that when she is all in love, how much has she actually matured emotionally as a character in the three books? I don't want Heather to be skinny and as I stated clearly in my review, I'm a fan of food. I'm just a fan of copious amounts of good food that are a celebration of all that is tasty and wonderful in the world, not overprocessed crap. And no, I will not stop reading this sort of thing. I was reflecting upon my personal response to text and character, which I thought was part of the point. Jussayin'.