Reading Vacation's Reviews > The Familiars

The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein

Jul 15, 2011

Read from June 26 to 27, 2011

This trio of familiars is adorable. Skylar is the blue-jay who acts all superior and has the power of creating illusions. Gilbert is the tree frog who constantly cracks jokes and has the power of seeing the future in puddle visions. And then there is Aldwyn, who tells this tale. He is just an ally cat, or so he thinks.

Familiars are the magical animal companions of their wizard loyals. In this story, Aldwyn is mistaken for a familiar and he is now in a predicament where he must live up to that distinction. Worse yet, when their loyals are kidnapped by the queen of Vastia, the familiars must rescue them.

I fell in love with these animals! They actually felt more like people than animals because their personalities were so unique and animated. Who would think I would be rooting for a frog?! The transformation from separate animals to a team was inspiring. I also loved that Aldwyn discovered something special about himself during the adventure.

The enchanting story mixes loyalty, magic, and action into one thrilling adventure. Young and old will enjoy the fast paced writing and laugh-out-loud humor.

TRAILER

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

Aldwyn, Skylar, and Gilbert are so cute! I love the wizard hat too. Middle grade covers can be so fun.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiars.

Andrew Jacobson Hi, I'm one of the authors of The Familiars. I see that you have marked my book as to-read. Now would be a great time to catch up on the first book and its sequel, Secrets of the Crown, in paperback or e-reader. You can find them in bookstores everywhere or on-line! Thanks.