Samantha's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: library-reads, summer2011
Read from June 25 to 26, 2011

At the end of the day the only good thing about this book was the cool manicure the cover model had.

So, I don't regret reading this book, but I also wouldn't have regretted passing it up now that I have finished it. The plot of Girl, Stolen is, for the most part, interesting. Cheyenne is blind and is kidnapped. Interesting, right? Well, then she also has pneumonia which is the reason she was alone in the car to begin with, however I've had pneumonia and Cheyenne didn't act that sick. Flu, maybe. Not on the brink of death like she's constantly saying.

And that's just where my issues started. At points this book read like a pamphlet, and a pamphlet not just for being blind but for chop shop businesses and other random bits of information. The awkward sentences felt like they had been paraphrased directly from Wikipedia and WebMD. Another awkward bit was the use of Nike. Nike is a real company (don't worry, if you live under a rock April Henry explains what the Nike company does) and, to me, it just seems weird to use fictional people in a real company. The author could have easily changed the company name. These things took me out of the story.

Finally, at the end of the book I realized that the real story wasn't of Cheyenne's kidnapping but of Cheyenne's journey of being blind. Since she wasn't blind her entire life she had to learn to accept that. Reading about that would have been far more interesting.

Ultimately what threw the book for me was the near romance there was between Griffen and Cheyenne. Griffen kidnapped Cheyenne, albeit not on purpose but striking up a friendship with him isn't cool. And this wasn't a Stolkhom syndrome kind of thing, it was actual friendship. And I get it, Griffen is in a bad situation and isn't able to decide how he lives his life. It's hard being young. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME FRIENDSHIP AT THE END. I mean, hello creepy Edward Cullen status.

This book had a lot of potential, but it never met its potential and that's a shame.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

06/25/2011 page 21
10.0% "Reviews on this book are 50/50. And so am I."
06/25/2011 page 43
20.0% "Starting to see why people don't like this book. Awkward reveal of information and inconsistent narrative/voice."
06/26/2011 page 123
58.0% "Decided this is just another book romanticizing creepy guys. Kidnapping, not a turn on."