Jen's Reviews > The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look

The Whimsical Bakehouse by Kaye Hansen

Mar 22, 08

bookshelves: educational
Recommended for: Anyone Interested in Cake Decorating
Read in March, 2008

Anyone interested in cake decorating should own this book. I get all my reading material from the local library, but I plan on purchasing this one, which is the highest compliment I can give. The decorating style is completely accessible, going for charm over perfection, and the recipes are fantastic. The relief chocolate method is also within an amateur's reach, and it such a creative and original method that the author deserves an award for it alone.

The philosophy of this book is that everything on a cake should be edible - and not just technically edible, but the kind of edible that makes you want to eat it. I applaud this approach, since so much of cake decorating looks and tastes like hardened cement. The styles of the cakes are not all ones that I would want to copy, but again, this is something original enough that it should be part of your cake decorating library.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whimsical Bakehouse.