Marlon Manalese's Reviews > Unknown

Unknown by Rachel Caine

Jun 25, 2011

it was ok
Recommended to Marlon by: My curiousity of what would happen next
Recommended for: Wants to learn how to write a proper action scene
Read in June, 2011 , read count: 1

As weird as it sounds, I was disappointed that it had way too much action. I kind of missed out on the true Djinn/human conflictions Cassiel had in the first book. I can't quite comment too much on the content of this book because I can barely remember what happened. None of it seemed as memorable as the Undone.

Rachel Caine does a good job at describing action and that golem battle was quite good, I can almost see it as a scene in a movie. The saving grace of this book is the description of actions that usually rouse my imagination to instantly picture what's happening. The downfall is the telling of emotions rather than the showing of it. Such simple lines like "I felt a burning rage in me turn into a wave of hatred" or something along those lines. It just felt like I was being spoonfed of how to feel and empathize with Cassiel.

What I missed about Undone was the character interactions felt a bit more real and there was tons of development between them. Also the action was done at reasonable lengths. This one was more just about Luis and Cassiel's connection alone, but not even that felt as natural, despite of the beginning's *ahem* intimate scene. There were too many scenes in Unknown that felt like they dragged on too long and didn't have smooth enough transitions. It was like trying to stretch the series as long as possible instead of being to the point and making it a trilogy, as opposed to a four parter.

It has been noted a lot that neither of these books can be read as simple stand alones because of the cliffhanger endings, and how nothing gets fully resolved for the time being. I didn't mind Undone's cliffhanger, I was indeed hungry for more, but Unknown made me feel like I didn't really learn anything new to the story. I will still attempt to read Part 3: Unseen just because I'm already halfway through, but if it doesn't pick up for the first few chapters, I regret having to deprive myself of experiencing the end of what only started out to seem a really good series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unknown.