Staci's Reviews > Silver Girl

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: netgalley-books, 2011-reads
Read from June 25 to 26, 2011

First Thoughts after finishing book: I'm glad that I didn't end up hating Meredith!!

What I liked about this book:

The story is very relevant to what has been occurring in corporate America and Wall Street. Greed, selfishness, and amassing "things" is the main agenda for many in this country.
Meredith's best friend Connie- if not for this character I would have stopped reading this book as I really couldn't take another minute trying to feel sorry for someone who wouldn't think twice about dropping $20,000 on linens and candles!! Connie is the best friend that I think a lot of women would love to have. She came across as a genuine and caring person.
The setting was pretty awesome...I would love to visit Nantucket, but I'm sure they wouldn't let me in!!
The meaning behind the title Silver Girl....I'd tell you more but I would never spoil the story for anyone!
What I didn't like about this book:
Meredith! I realize that the author wanted to convey to the reader how materialistic Meredith had become but geesh.....I'm sickened by the excess of her spending and how she never blinked once about spending tens of thousands of dollars on stupid stuff!! That part that really galled me is that this is so prevalent in our society. I'm disgusted at how the average person believes that in order to be happy they must ACQUIRE things...the more you spend the better you are. I almost bailed on this one just because of that and the name dropping on clothes...IMHO, I could care less what designer shoes you have on. Uh oh...I think I just went on a rant. Sorry...........
My other beef is that this is a Reagan Arthur book and I've read a few from this division and have thought it to be more literary fiction. To me this was a good beach read but nothing more than that.
Recommend? I would recommend this one to friends but I'd give them a heads up on how I really had a hard time liking and/or feeling sorry for Meredith. But I'm pretty sure that was the author's intention!!

Rating: 7.5/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tanya Marie Meredith got on my nerves too. I thought it was all a little too neat and tidy with connie's new beau and well, the book fell flat with the characters for me. I didn't think the title was ideal, but ok given the meaning. I too love the setting if Nantucket:)