Tony Fike's Reviews > The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement

The Social Animal by David  Brooks

U_50x66
Jun 25, 11

Recommended to Tony Fike by: Charlie Rose
Recommended for: People I care about
Read from March 21 to April 16, 2011 — I own a copy

Insightful, entertaining style uses two fictional characters probably loosely patterned after his own life. Learned new, inside the beltway terms e.g. see "globaloney" circa the chapter on soft stuff page 210. Saw Charlie Rose interview Brooks on PBS. Yeah, I know, what's a conservative like me doing watching PBS. Well I helped pay for it, dammit! Topic resonated with what I am learning from my wife of 37 years - yes I started listening to her already in 2003. Don't laugh. Some couples live their whole life together in silent detente, waiting for the other to break. Great read. So impressed with it that I gave a copy to my youngest child, age 22. Hope she reads it earlier in life than I did, tho she already may know much of this having graduated with a near 4.0 average from Naropa university this year with a degree in multiple diciplinary studies one of which is Transpersonal Psychology. Her and Brooks could have a great discussion. They have similar writing patterns tho Brooks has had many more years to collect content and deliver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Animal.