Hayden's Reviews > The Pledge

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: arc, history-with-author, own-it, ending-rocked, mega-awesome-cover, thank-god-it-s-a-stand-alone
Read from August 05 to 10, 2011

I wasn't all that impressed with THE BODY FINDER, and I was pretty hesitant when THE PLEDGE showed up on my doorstep. I wasn't sure Kimberly Derting deserved another chance. If I didn't like her first novel, what were the odds I'd like the first book in a totally different genre? How big were the chances I'd find the experience of reading her third novel like I did her first and give up on her in general? Thankfully, that wasn't the case. I'm glad I did end up giving it a chance, because it wasn't anything like THE BODY FINDER -- frankly, it was better, more creative, and more engrossing.

In the beginning of the book, I wasn't too sure I was going to like it. The pacing was like the love child of a turtle and a snail, and I wasn't really "feeling" any of the characters-- I didn't get a good grip on them, didn't feel sympathy for them during crises, and didn't care if they got hurt. As the novel progressed, however, they were displayed a little more in-depth, and I grew to love a few of them (especially Angelina).

The pacing at the end is breakneck. I found myself really engrossed in the story, and I was sad when it ends. I'm really glad Derting didn't stretch the story out and make it a series, because it ended perfectly and frankly it wouldn't have worked as a series. Everything is resolved, wrapped up in a nice little package with a pretty little bow.

If you didn't like THE BODY FINDER, fear not, because THE PLEDGE definitely steps it up a level. You won't be disappointed!
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.

08/05/2011 page 23
7.0% "Well. . . . This is . . . interesting."
08/05/2011 page 26
8.0% "I like the rotating perspectives!"
08/05/2011 page 31
10.0% "That's just sick!"
08/09/2011 page 61
19.0% "Note to self: mention the alternating povs in the review."
08/09/2011 page 71
22.0% "Note to self: mention addictiveness in review."
08/09/2011 page 83
26.0% "NOOOOO, Kim Derting! I'M using that name in MY book! Not you! GRRRRR! *foiledplanheaddesk*" 3 comments
08/10/2011 page 187
58.0% "WHOA! This just got really intersting."
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Emily May (new)

Emily May "love child of a turtle and a snail". LOL, do you have that phrase copyrighted or can anyone use it? :D

message 2: by Hayden (last edited Aug 11, 2011 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hayden Emily wrote: ""love child of a turtle and a snail". LOL, do you have that phrase copyrighted or can anyone use it? :D"

It's usable . . . for now.

*cue dramatic music*

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Actually, the book IS going to be a series.

Leah (Jane Speare) Yeah...either a trilogy or more...so how does that effect your review? Because it just showed up on *my* doorstep, and i am a little scared to start it...

Hayden Ack.

message 6: by Char (new) - added it

Char I'm sorry, I just have to say that the "love child of a turtle and a snail" is absolutely hilarious and beyond genius. I legitimately laughed out loud. xD

Holly Abbott Yea I read it thinking it wasn't a series because of your review. But the end did leave things open (Epilogue especially). **SPOILERS**:

Like the love triangle between Brooklyn, Xander, and Eden. Also that she can feel the dark queen, which she shouldn't call queen since she is queen now. And her country that will resist, including queen Elena that they mentioned quite a few times but you never saw.

But honestly, your review in no way ruined it. And maybe actually left me guessing more thinking it would end a little differently.

message 8: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I had to LOL over your description of a love child between a snail and a turtle. I must remember that for future use!