Mike Puma's Reviews > Ghosts

4193758
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: argentine-author, new-directions-publishing, 2011
Read in December, 2011

Ghosts. Ghosts everywhere. Ghosts hovering in the corners of an unfinished building, on its roof, telling time, extending invitations, calling. The titular ghosts, the characters rendered ghostlike by their appearance then disappearance from the story. The ghost of a story hovering over the text—to be told, but not told. The ghost of thought, the unbuilt, the unwritten. The idea.

A haunting story that leaves the reader feeling there is more to it—the knowledge the author predicts will come through a novel rather than from it. Subdued, deliberate, gauzy. A ghost story for the non-genre reader.

A little gem shoved into the last days of the year to complete my GR Reading Challenge goal—the ghost of a year spent reading some truly remarkable novels. Good friends, those ghosts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg ♥ (new)

Meg ♥ This year just blew by, but I'm glad you felt you got some great reads in! :-) Here's to the awesome books to come in 2012!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona I've heard good things about this ghost story. The genre has not been one I've engaged with or felt drawn towards really. So I appreciate your review; Ghosts has just become a book I will read at some point.