Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Wrath of the Bloodeye

Wrath of the Bloodeye by Joseph Delaney

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

Okay...I think I've reached my saturation point on this series. As I started it I was favorably impressed and I suppose it is a good series. When I gave a 4 star to the first book and recommended it a friend here on Goodreads (Coleen black rose I believe...sorry if I mis-attributed that) noted that the problem she had was the Tom never seems to change. I can see what she means now.

Tom is the Spook's apprentice (see book 1 for the explanation of what a "Spook" is) his Last apprentice. This apparently means not only the "latest" but begins to seem that it also means "last" in that there won't be any more.

The last book verged on the silly for me as the "witches" set out to call "The Fiend". "The" in The Fiend here gets capitalized because (you see) The Fiend is The Devil.

Yes, I sighed to, but went on with the story. The use of the character was more a Sword of Damocles than anything else...till he arrives and now he hates or is after Tom.

This book tries for a more involved plot. Tom leaves to be trained by a Spook who was at one point an earlier apprentice of his master. This man is a harder man than John Gregory (Tom's master) and he has some secrets and major problems. Unfortunately the character of Tom has failed to develop much throughout the book and as always I think most (including any reasonably intelligent youths) will see a lot of the plot points coming.

This left me sighing and bored, skimming a bit and ready for it to be over long before the last page.

I haven't read these books back to back, but I have read them close together. So, just in case that has burned me out on the books a bit I plan to lay the series aside and maybe pick it back up in a few months when I feel the urge to try a YA book.

So, a bit disappointing and a bit waring for me. On the off chance that I'm just burned out, I give it 3 stars, but really was glad to see the book's end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrath of the Bloodeye.