Samantha 's Reviews > Velocity

Velocity by Dean Koontz

2060997
Jun 25, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

Velocity was a great thriller. The suspense kept me reading it until I finished it and uncovered the mystery. The premise is that Billy, a hardworking, quiet bartender, recieves a note telling him he has the power to determine who the writer of the note murders. Billy decides that the note is a malicious prank and ignores it. He's ready to move on until one of the possible victims the note indicated ends up dead. More notes arrive and Billy realizes that he's dealing with a serial killer who's so expertly tangled him in his murderous web that he can't even contact the police.

I love how Dean Koontz took a premise so frightening and made it wholly believable. He had red herrings and dozens of clues that kept me guessing. Koontz managed to keep the storyline of the relentless killer going at a breakneck speed while developing all the characters. In Velocity there were two mysteries side by side- the mystery of the killer's identity and motivation and the mystery of how Billy is more than just an average bartender. I loved how I had to keep reaing to peel back layer upon layer of who the protaganist really was. It added to the suspense. The climax was completely suprising and thrilling and led to a perfectly written conclusion. I loved this book because it also dealt with deeper topics like the human condition. So it offered entertainment and integrity. Dean Koontz is an excellent writer and I definitely recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velocity.