Trudi's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

I just want to get this out of the way from the beginning – Read. This. Book. The writing is so very good and for a plot that seems oh so familiar and tired there is newness here, a freshness that just sucks you in making you forget all the other times you read about the end-of-the-world and zombies. Bick has a lot of original ideas to add to that YA zombie canon growing seemingly out of control; zombies are hot right now, there’s no doubt about that. So how do you distinguish yourself from the pack?

Bick’s success starts with her characters and when that’s your foundation you’ve already won half the battle. Alex, Tom and Ellie all in short shrift and with seemingly little effort become characters I worried about. Their safety and well-being wrapped me in perpetual anxiety. When a book can make you care for characters so much that you’re just sick to your stomach to read ahead because you just know things are only going to get so much worse, that’s good writing.

Like any zombie fare worth talking about, Ashes shows us we have much more to fear from ourselves than from the flesh-eating creatures now walking the Earth. There are some nasty humans in this book and I’m confident we haven’t seen the worst of it yet. This book will also make you pull your hair out. You can’t guess where the story is going and you start to get the feeling pretty early on that no character is truly safe.

There are a lot of original details I could gush over right now – like the dogs, the nature of “the Change” itself and the impact it’s having on one particular enclave of survivors – but I won’t. These details are best left discovered as you read. Since this is Book 1 of a projected trilogy, you have to know that things are just getting started and I love that I’m DYING to get my hands on Book 2.

Mucho thanks again to my friend May who snagged an autographed ARC for me at ALA! The only downside is now I have that much longer to wait for the sequel ... D'oh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

07/14/2011 "I have an awesome friend who snagged me an autographed ARC from this year's ALA Conference. Thanks May! Hopefully it will be worth your trouble :D"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Did you put this book on the cant-wait list before or I after I told you that I picked up a copy for you?

Trudi After ... does this mean you want your own shelf now? ... oh, alright ;-)

Trudi Oh! I actually didn't get that part about you picking up a copy ... AWESOME. Now you definitely get your own shelf :-D

message 2: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May That good, eh?

message 1: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Well great, now I have to read it. Damn you! I have so many books to read. So little time...