TheBookAddictedGirl's Reviews > Spirit Bound

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: amazing-worlds, action-adventure, dark-romance, fantasy, favourite-series, magic, paranormal, read-2011, urban-fantasy, ya
Recommended for: Everyone! Especially Those Who Love Kick-Butt Heroines! ;)
Read from February 21 to 24, 2011, read count: Twice!

I honestly don’t know what to say about this other than Richelle Mead has done it again. She’s created another book that made me go on an emotional-rollercoaster, and race to get to the end. But this is the penultimate in the series from the POV of Rose! So, at the same time, I really, really didn’t want to finish! I think I’m a Vampire Academy addict.
It picks up where Blood Promise finished: Rose is back at the relative-safety of St. Vladimir’s; back with Lissa. It’s graduation, which means leaving school and having to go out into the real world. But, unlike she thought, Rose hasn’t killed Dimitri. And now he’s stalking her. She knows that leaving the academy and its magical wards that keep the undead, evil Strigoi out.
So: Dimitri is after Rose; she’s promised Adrian that she’ll give their relationship a real try, even though she knows that she still loves Dimitri; and on top of it all, there’s the huge problem of whether all of Rose’s antics have damaged her chances of being assigned to Lissa as her guardian...
And, of course, there are the usual mad-Rose schemes - actually, they're even more insane than normal. One of them is her plan to 'save' Dimitri, and she's prepared to go to any lengths to do it... But, I can't say anymore without giving the story away, so you'll just have to read it.
Back to the review; overall: amazing.
Once again, I have to say how much I love Rose. She’s brilliant. I can’t say what it is about her, but she’s got to be one of my favourite heroines ever. Sassy, smart-mouthed, and badass, she takes everything on with a snarky comment or two. But, underneath all the sarcasm, it’s obvious that’s had to mature a lot. After everything she’s seen and done... well, I think it’s changed her forever, and her heart has definitely been broken once or twice. And yet, even then, she’s funny and strong. I have no idea how she does it, but I love her for it! It’s impossible not to.
As for Lissa and Christian, well, they obviously still love each other, but after all the mayhem Avery caused in Blood Promise, they broke up. It broke my heart: they’re perfect together! But, Lissa, of course, is sweet and strong as ever, fitting in perfectly with both Academy and Royal Court life. Lissa always seemed to be a little... unstable, I guess is the word, constantly leaning on Rose. Now, she's absolutely brilliant, grown-up, living up to her royal heritage and Rose even leans on her at times.
Now, Adrian: I love him. Even knowing that Rose ran over to Russia for Dimitri, he still loves her – and I mean really loves her. He’s so sweet, and you can see how hard he tries to change for Rose. And, despite all the effects spirit has on him, he is a really good guy. Plus, he’s grown up too, all for Rose. Though, he does still have his sarcastic moments, which I love. Did I mention how sweet he was?
Again, written absolutely brilliantly, and just as addictive as ever, Spirit Bound definitely didn’t let me down. Actually, parts of the plot were complete surprises to me – and I’m normally really good at guessing twists. I’m not ashamed to say that it made me cry again, before making me laugh the next minute.
I love this series, and it’s become one of my favourite ever: I really, really don’t want it to end! So, we have tears, laughter, twists, sarcasm, surprises, unbelievable cliffhangers and incredible characters. Completely extraordinary, I honestly can’t recommend it enough. I swear, this series just seems to get better and better as it goes along. Honestly can’t wait for Last Sacrifice, even if it does mean no more Rose: I just need to know what happens next!
I’m off to fetch my copy of Last Sacrifice now.

Quick note on the cover: I love the new paperback, mainly because of the little quote on it: 'That which is dead doesn't always stay dead...' But I do love the hardcover, though I'm not entirely sure who it's meant to be...? What do you think?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit Bound.

Quotes TheBookAddictedGirl Liked

Richelle Mead
“If I could dream, I know I'd dream about you.I'd dream about the way you smell and how your dark hair feels like silk between my fingers. I'd dream about the smoothness of your skin and the fierceness of your lips when we kiss. Without dreams,I have to be content with my own imagination—which is almost as good. I can picture all those things perfectly.”

Richelle Mead
“He'd written me up a proposal of why dating him was a sound decision. It had included things like "I'll give up cigarettes unless I really, really need one" and "I'll unleash romantic surprises every week, such as: an impromptu picnic, roses, or a trip to Paris—but not actually any of those things because now they're not surprises.”

Richelle Mead
“He has no right to threaten my boyfriends. I'm eighteen. An adult. I don't need his help. I can threaten my boyfriends myself.”

Richelle Mead
“I knew you were a badass," continued Adrian. "But I didn't realize just how much until I saw you dropping guardians out there."
"Does that mean you're going to be nicer to me?" I teased.
"I'm already nice to you," he said loftily. "Do you know how badly I want a cigarette right now? But no. I manfully suffer through nicotine withdrawal—all for you.”

“Checkmate, bitch.”

Richelle Mead
“Well, you've finally got a license to kill. It's about time.”

Richelle Mead
“Most fathers don't threaten to disembowel their daughter's boyfriends."

"That's not true. And anyway, that's not what I actually said. It was much worse.”

Richelle Mead
“You know what we need?"

"A new plan?" asked Lissa.

"A miracle?" asked Eddie.

I paused and glared at them both before responding. Since when had they become the comedians here? "No.

Richelle Mead
“I've given up on you...Love fades. Mine has.”

Richelle Mead
“This isn't over. I won't give up on you."

"I've given up on you," he said back, voice also soft. "Love fades. Mine has."

I stared at him in disbelief. All this time, he'd never phrased it like that. His protests had always been about some greater good, about the remorse he felt over being a monster of how it had scarred him from love. I've given up on you. Love fades. Mine has.

I backed up, the sting of those words hitting me as hard as if he'd slapped me. Something shifted in his features, like maybe he knew how much he'd hurt me. I didn't stick around to see. Instead, I pushed my way out of the aisle and ran out the doors in the back, afraid that if I stayed any longer, everyone in the church would see me cry.”

Richelle Mead
“Dreams, dreams. I walk them; I live them. I delude myself with them. It's a wonder I can spot reality anymore.”

“Love fades. Mine has.”