Amber Harris's Reviews > The Power That Preserves

The Power That Preserves by Stephen R. Donaldson

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from June 25 to July 06, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

After a long period of waiting for something to happen, I finally find myself liking a book in this trilogy. It took until the middle of the book, granted, but then I flew right through it. The pace picked up, the characters gained interest. It was good, but I'm sad that it was so long coming. However, saying that, I must emphasize again that Donaldson's style is a much vaguer, slower-paced style than I prefer to start with, so those who like that type of writing style will have probably liked this book from the beginning.

Donaldson leaves a lot unexplained, right from the beginning. A great deal of the start of the book leaves the reader following Covenant around in a short of delusional stupor, and later the reader will see glimpses into certain perspectives that are truly irrelevant to the story - or, if they are relevant, Donaldson did not clearly explain how.

I made a note to myself after about the first hundred pages pending an incident: "Given any sort of logic, we'd never see Triock again, but even though many of Donaldson's side-exploits seem to be pointless and end in people dying, people don't seem to die. But they still seem pointless." A little harsh, perhaps, but it remains true. It's said that "if you don't see the corpse, they are not dead," and that prove true of several characters in the trilogy, so many that it was becoming predictable, and a bit disappointing. I think perhaps that the point was that Covenant's ghosts were coming back to haunt him, but I'm not certain.

Ultimately, I didn't love the trilogy, but nor can I say I hated it. Much of my opinion on the book, I am consciously aware, has to do with my preference in books, and not the shortcomings of the writer. He has many fans, and has them for a reason.

((Cross-posted on my blog: The Literary Phoenix.))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power That Preserves.

06/25/2011 page 80
16.0% "So far it all feels incredibly unlikely. Triock summoning Covenant? Also, the fifty-ish pages of Covenant running around in a delirious fever of sorts, that's a little peculiar. Especially the long bit at the revival meeting, or whatever that was. I think Donaldson trying that show Covenant's shifting of realities, but it all feels a little overdramatic to me."
06/25/2011 page 95
19.0% "Foamfollower is back? ... And yet Donaldson holds off on explanations to show a battle we don't really see because Covenant is hiding. Gah."
06/25/2011 page 109
21.0% "Lena is a little too much."
06/28/2011 page 134
26.0% "Given any sort of logic, we'd never see Triock again, but even though many of Donaldson's side-exploits seem to be pointless and end in people dying, people don't seem to die. But they still seem pointless."
07/07/2011 page 512
100.0% "The ending of this book was great! Wish the whole trilogy was like that!"