TheBookAddictedGirl's Reviews > Dracula's Guest

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: british-fiction, classics, read-2011, thriller-suspense, horror
Recommended for: Horror-Addicts
Read from January 30 to February 02, 2011, read count: Once

This book is made up of a variety of short stories and one chapter that was left of out Dracula as the final book was too long. Most of the stories and brilliantly gruesome, and full of terror – all kinds: psychological, fear of death or just the good-old fashioned supernatural kind – but all are of different characters and places, who all face different horrors.
I liked the stories a lot, but I really preferred Bram Stoker’s original, Dracula, probably because I like to know more about the characters and the events of their lives. However, somehow Stoker manages to pack in so much detail into thirteen-or-so pages long stories that I found myself completely absorbed.
Ranging from wolf-dogs to rats with freaky eyes, the tales are all more than a little bizarre and grisly, but are good nonetheless. They prove that Stoker is really the creator of the modern horror.
My personal favourite is The Judge’s House; it’s about a man living in the house another man was hung in – and he’s staying in the very room it happened in. It’s haunted by creepy rats, and although the end is a little cliché, I just loved the whole suspense-terror vibe going on.
The other stories are really good, and there’s a wide range of horror in them. The only one I wasn’t very keen on was The Squaw, and if you’re an animal lover, this may not be a good one for you (just a warning). The Gypsy Prophecy and A Dream of Red Hands were my other two favourites, one about confronting your darker side, the other a rather moralistic story about facing the horrific consequences of horrific actions. The chapter from Dracula was from the start of the book, about what Jonathan Harker got up to just before his arrival at the Count’s house. It was really good, and it links in because I remember mild hints of something like it in the actual novel.
All in all, a very good book that proves that Stoker could write short stories just as well as he can write long ones. And also that books from one-hundred odd years ago can still scare and absorb you.

Oh, and a quick note on the eBook: other than a few paragraphs starting in the wrong places, the punctuation and everything was brilliant, and the book was free, too! I’m still not ready to give up my paper books though: they beat electronic in my book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula's Guest.