Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale's Reviews > Department 19

Department 19 by Will Hill

Jun 29, 11

Read from June 25 to 28, 2011

Department 19 is a modern twist on my most favorite paranormal and supernatural creatures,Frankenstein and Dracula. Will Hill incorporates all of my favorite Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley character's into this wonderful debut novel and adds some new character's who you will most definitely fall in love with.

Department 19 is not at all what I expected it to be. The cover threw me off of this exciting new YA/Supernatural novel. I was not expecting to be introduced into the chaotic world of Jamie Carpenter the son of a traitorous father who betrayed his country and left his wife a widow and his son fatherless.

Two years after Julian Carpenter's death, Jamie comes home to find his mom missing and his world turned upside down. A creature who calls himself Victor Frankenstein takes Jamie into the world of Department 19. The British top secret government agency who has sworn to protect mankind from all that is supernatural and evil. Started around the time of Dracula, Department 19 consists of the founding families who started the agency so long ago.

Jamie is thrust into this world with only one goal in mind to find and get his mother back. But what he doesn't know is that one of the world's oldest vampires has a personal vendetta against his family and will stop at nothing to destroy Jamie as well as the world.

I absolutely adored Department 19. It is one of those novel's that caught me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire novel. The only issue I have is with the cover. It threw me off. To be honest if I had seen Department 19 in the stores I would not have picked it up based on the cover. It does not do the novel justice. You begin to understand the cover design as you read the book but like I said if I had seen it on the shelves of my store I probably would have walked right past it.

I am so glad that HarperCollins Canada sent me a copy because I would have missed out on such a great book. I thoroughly recommend to anyone who loves the classic Bram Stoker Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to pick up Department 19. Do not base the book by it's cover! Because you will be very sorry if you do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Department 19.