Chrissie's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me
09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cherie (new)

Cherie Looking at all of the YLTOers who marked it as "to-read" and thinking "No, not for me" and then I saw your shelf, Chrissie. ROFL!

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie What s ROFL? You KNOW i don't always think as others do........

Cherie, I am in Sweden now. Internet connected and I am going strong. Had a lovely hours walk in the country with Oscar this morning. No leash. :0).

The delivery of the furniture is delayed due to the storm...or whatever! Keep you fingers crossed that the right stuff is delivered here in Sweden.

You know what I have written in my private notes abut this book? "Horror story about a crazy girl living with her sister - not for me!" I also was not attracted to the writing style.

message 3: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette rofl is rolling on the floor laughing (not sure what ylto means) ;)

Glad to hear you made it to Sweden, Chrissie! It must be so nice to be out of the big city.

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Jeanette, that is a group name!

Oh, yes Jeanette! This is lovely ! I have to go back to work NOW!

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie I am sorry, Chrissie. Please forgive me. I forget that there are those who do not know what the letters mean and that many do not appreciate them. (Actually, it took me some time to understand them too when I first started seeing them. I drove my daughter crazy asking her what things meant).

I see that Jeannette indicated about ROFL. It means I was really laughing out loud. It is more than just LOL (which means "laughing out loud"; ie it's funny and I'm smiling).

I was looking at the names of all of the people in the You'll Love This One (YLTO) group that had marked this book as "Want to Read" where it shows up on their shelf as "to read". After I read the summary and some of the comments about the book, I was thinking to my self that it is NOT my kind of book (I do not read horror and all of that paranormal stuff), and again - I saw your shelf name. It made me really laugh to see it.

Instead of adding a shelf for books I am not going to read, I just do not add them to my list at all, but I understood why you have a shelf where you could put those titles and give them a personal note.

I try to keep my shelves names as uncomplicated as I can. It may make it harder for me to find a book for something specific in my TBR list but it is okay with me.

Great you are already enjoying Sweeden and I hope you get your furniture soon.

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie You know why I need a shelf for books that are "not for me"? It is because if I just remove them I might forget that I have looked at the book carefully and decided against it. My memory is short..... If I don't have a "not for me" shelf I end up adding them again.

We got our furniture and clothes and what-not yesterday. We started unloading at 6:30 in the morning and they drove away at 4PM. Since then I have been unpacking and unpacking and unpacking, yesterday and today. I am exhausted. So now I ma sitting and looking at GR. :0) We still have to dump stuff, give away stuff. We had an extra TV and so we gave it to the movers. It feels so nice to be home in Sweden. So very nice. I LOVE walking in the countryside with Oscar. Every day, it is just outside the door!

That is so funny about ROFL! Yeah, American use a lot of acronyms. I made my own abbreviation for because - b/c. I got sick of writing out the whole word! I figured people would get it.

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie I am so pleased for you that your move went well and you are so happy. Tired, I am sure, but happy.

Do you mean that Sweeden is your home or that you have lived there before? (You said it was nice to be home in Sweeden.)

message 8: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Yes, we lived here before, in this very house, before we moved to Brussels. We lived here for two years and then our son lived here for a while, but now we are really home. But you see that is why it always felt like we were traveling from one home to another.

message 9: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Welcome home, Chrissie!

I think email, and, now, texting has led to an explosion in the use of abbreviations and emoticons. It's almost like learning a new language, or secret code. ;)

message 10: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Jeanette, it is so very nice to be home. I am just sucking it up. There is so much to do to get settled, so last night even though I was very tired I woke up at 3:30 AM and just had to get up and start working again. Totally crazy. Still, it is very fun.

message 11: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette That is totally crazy, but sometimes you just want to finish something, and then you can rest. Take a nap, maybe?

message 12: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie No nap, too much to do. I can be a total maniac when stuff has to be done. I work until I drop.....or have hypos.

message 13: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Do what you gotta do, woman! lol

message 14: by Chrissie (new) - added it