Ashley's Reviews > The Tenth Circle

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

May 24, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: by-jodi-picoult, for-school
Recommended for: all mature high schoolers and even parents
Read in March, 2008

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult is based on a fourteen-year-old girl, Trixie Stone, who is madly in love for the first time with an upper classman named Jason Underhill, who happens to be the star hockey player of the town and well known by everyone. Sadly though, Jason doesn’t love Trixie; he merely only likes her. Because of this fact, after he broke off their relationship, he was the only one to move on. Trixie became depressed, desperate, and determined. To relieve her emotional pain, she began cutting, which is a sign of deep depression. Also, she created a barrier between her and her dad, just as Jason had done with her.

But after Trixie was convinced by her best friend Zephyr that she should make Jason jealous by hitting on other guys and appearing to be easy, she lies to her dad by telling him that she is staying the night with Zephyr and that Zephyr’s mom will be there. When in reality, Zephyr’s mom is out of town and they are having a party full of guys, including Jason.

That night after giving oral sex to countless guys and playing strip poker, she finds herself alone with Jason. After realizing he doesn’t really want her back, but instead just wants to be friends with benefits, she tries to get away from him. Failing to do so, he rapes her.

Making the right decision, she chooses not to stay the night with Zephyr. Instead, she goes home in the middle of the night and places herself in the bathroom floor, where her father finds her crying and shaking violently. Then, she tells him. “Daddy, he raped me.”

After that night, Trixie’s life turns upside down.

They press charges and await a trial... but how can there be a trial if the suspect winds up dead?

What happens next? I can’t say, but you can find out. But I do have to say, things don’t always turn out the way you expect them to.

*** Sadly though, The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult has been challenged from a few highschools across the world because because it includes suicide and also sexual content, such as date rape and adultery. But in my opinion, it shouldnt be challenged nor banned because Picoult is not encouraging teens to do negative things but instead to send out a message: Do we really ever know anyone as well as we think we do?
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenth Circle.

Cydnie As a mother, I can agree that the topics of date rape, suicide, and depression are important to be discussed in school. What I would have issue with is a book that uses the 'f' word as much as an R-rated movie. I get REALLY tired of reading and hearing that word.