Danica's Reviews > The Bourne Ultimatum

The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum

F 50x66
Jul 17, 11

Read from June 24 to July 06, 2011

Pretty good book with some dynamite action sequences. It doesn't actually parallel the movie AT ALL, which is both good and bad. Good because you don't feel like you are reading something that you already know, and bad because I particularly enjoyed the movies and preferred that version of Jason Bourne/David Webb. I have not read the first two in the trilogy.

The only thing that felt false to me about the book was Jason/David's relationship with his wife and family. The dialogue seemed unrealistic and I found that I was always irritated by the way his wife would butt into his "mission." This is largely the reason I prefer the unattached, revenge-motivated Jason Bourne from the movie series.

Also, note this book was written in the late 80's, early 90's and it is hard to imagine the spy v. spy things going on without current technological advances. It doesn't feel old enough to be camp like James Bond, and it doesn't feel fresh enough to be exciting. The use of cell phones would have eliminated about 50% of the difficulties in this book. Ha ha. Also, it's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that Jason was a Vietnam vet (sort of) and that he's only 50, given how old Vietnam Vets are currently. It's not a criticism of the plot, but more of a note to let readers that you are going to be jarred since it is close enough to modern times to be familiar but just far enough to have to continually remind yourself that this book is 20 years old.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Ultimatum.