Sam Bloom's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Mar 06, 2009

bookshelves: ya-realistic-fiction

Just reread this and have decided it is definitely one of the top 10 novels of all time. I never buy books, but I will buy this one for myself as a birthday present.

I caught so much the second time around that I didn't notice the first time. Marv's message really hit me hard - that section more than any other in the book is so unbelievably well-written and handled... truly amazing that Zusak can accomplish what he does here without getting sappy. The ending read completely different than it did the first time around as well. Sorry so cryptic, but I don't want to give it away if you haven't read it. And if you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?!? Read this book already!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

Gail Sam,
I'm beginning to think this way about all Zusak books. A recent second reading of The Book Thief just blew me away, earning it a spot in MY top 10 novels of all time.

What's all the more remarkable is how this guy could write THIS well so YOUNG. And the Marv section - wow - you're right - so poetic. I think my favorite was Ed as Jimmy. Those sections with him and Milla were just so heartfelt.

I definitely will have to buy this one too. Is he working on anything new?

message 2: by Meggityb (new) - added it

Meggityb Okay...you and Gail W. have got me really interested in this book. It's on my list!

Gail I don't think you'll be disappointed Meg!

And, BTW - did you hear HBO is making the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency into a mini-series - thought you might want to rent that after its aired!

message 4: by Meggityb (new) - added it

Meggityb Thanks for the heads up about the mini-series. I hadn't heard about it.