Jennie's Reviews > Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way

Season to Taste by Molly Birnbaum

Jul 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2011, read-in-july
Read from July 03 to 06, 2011

I started this book thinking it would be more about an established chef losing their sense of smell, which I thought sounded challenging and possibly career ending. Instead, the pages contained the story of Molly a young girl getting her start in the restaurant world. Even though this book is non-fiction, the story had the makings of a great fictional tale of loss and struggle.

She was only weeks away from starting at a culinary school and was learning the ropes of a restaurant’s inner workings at the time she was hit by a car resulting in major injuries and the loss of her sense of smell. Where does one go when they have lost one of the most important bodily parts for a career a chef? Reading her struggle with charting a new life path I imagined myself in her shoes. What would I do if I lost my hands – I need them to type at my current job. What would my Husband do without his arms to get himself into his bunker gear to fight a fire or do CPR on a patient in the ambulance? Those are questions I hope I never had to really answer, but Molly did have to figure out the answers.

Within the story of her life the reader learns a lot about noses and the sense of smell. I was pleasantly surprised by this information and found myself learning new things about the what appears to be a partially researched aspect of our daily lives. The impact this lack of smell had on Molly was also surprising to me on the surface. I had never really though about how much scent is used in relations to eating, memories and almost every task a person does. The book did a great job of explaining how rehabilitating the loss of scent could be to a person.

If you are interested in learning more about smelling or if you enjoy cooking this book would be a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season to Taste.

07/04/2011 page 135