Jenny's Reviews > Zombies Don't Cry

Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from June 24 to July 03, 2011

First of all, I think whoever wrote the back cover synopsis should be fired. If the author wrote it, I'm sorry, Rusty! I love you but I would have missed this one if it weren't for the book tour! There is so much more to this book than what was there. Maddy is hilarious from start to finish. Her upbeat, often acerbic observations diminish the hard edge of what has happened to her and how sad it could really be in reality. Seeing zombie life through her eyes is at times completely amusing (crazy zombie movie marathon?) and at others heart-rending. She might be (un)dead but Maddy's emotions run what I would consider to be a pretty natural course through the entire book.

I am always wary of reading books told from a teenage girl's point of view written by an adult man. I have read a few that failed miserably. Not this one! Mr. Fischer has an amazing grasp on Maddy's voice. She is authentic, imaginative, and comes across as a teenage girl as clear as a bell. I fully believed her and the other characters and so I was able to submerge myself in the story and the world completely. Something I find integral to enjoying the reading experience.

The story took plenty of turns and I know I laughed and cheered out loud a number of times. I especially loved learning about the Elders and zombie laws. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of that in the book but perhaps it will be fleshed out (no pun intended) in future books. Because I very much hope to have the privilege of reading much more about Maddy and her undead men! Though the ending, even if bittersweet, was definitely one that I could be satisfied with even if Mr. Fischer never writes more about Maddy.

I was thoroughly impressed with the level of intensity and energy through the book that never waned. This book was packed from beginning to end with so much action, unique (to me) zombie mythology, and snarky dialogue that I never could find the right place to put it down. So I didn't. I read straight through and when I was finished I definitely wanted more. Thank goodness Rusty Fischer loves his undead characters and so there is much more for me to read! I completely and evangelistically recommend this book to anyone who loved the delicious sarcastic banter of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the entire idea of zombies trying to take over celebrated school functions.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Don't Cry.

06/24/2011 page 40