Mark's Reviews > Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow

Hitler Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Jun 24, 2011

it was ok
Read in June, 2011

It was a requirement for my YAL course at The Metropolitan State College of Denver. I found the book very informative, though disturbing. It was a difficult read not for any grammar related issue, it was the actual content, and the frightening realization that it has occurred in history, and quite recently. A Jewish poet named Heinrich Heine, who was mentioned by one of the girls, a German girl who secretly continued to read other non-Germanic authors and literature, fought back against her book group and retorted with: "He who doesn't know Heinrich Heine, doesn't know German literature". The book mentions a quote by Heine, one that is ingrained into my memory: "Where one burns books, one will, in the end, burn people". This is one of the most powerful statements that lingered within my conscious as I continued to read.
I appreciate the goal, and the attention it does bring to young adults, and Hitler's aim with the youth of Germany, a fact that I never took much notice of, and it was apparent, that neither did many who lived during the holocaust and rise of the Hitler and the National Socialist. I recommend this book to those who do not necessarily have a bearing on the specific involvement of youth in the this particular moment of history, or who just needs a quick history lesson, this is a great book for research on the perception of Nazi youth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler Youth.