William Bentrim's Reviews > The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Jun 26, 2011

Read in June, 2011

The Devil All The Time by Donald Ray Pollock

A post World War two beginning extending to the 1960’s, this story is an extraordinary characterization of Appalachian poverty.

Growing up in a steel town and teaching in a tiny impoverished coal town in Pennsylvania gave me the background to find the characters in this book believable. As a college student, drifting down to West Virginia I drank n some pretty despicable places. None were quite as despicable as described in the book. The scenery was familiar as was the attitudes.

The acceptance of fate by Arvin and his sordid childhood was sobering. Carl and Sandy were too reminiscent of some of the horror flicks of the 60’s. The corruption of local law enforcement was something that was accepted in some of the more rural communities as part of the job. (Hmm, I guess not just rural communities.)

This is not a book for the faint of heart. There is behavior here that turns the stomach and curdles the soul. It was not a pleasant book to read but compelling to read as watching a train wreck.

I recommend the book for those with strong stomachs and who can handle violent behavior.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil All the Time.

08/21 marked as: read

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Bill - this review doesn't match to book..?????

William Bentrim Hmm, I would like to say that I did that on purpose to see if people actually read what I write but apparently even I don't read what I write. So it does match now and I am going to check the other review and see if I posted the wrong one there too.

Arrgghh! The mind is a terrible thing to lose!

Thanks Shelly!!!

Shellie (Layers of Thought) and you spelled my name wrong for the first time since I have known you... everything going okay? *lol*

William Bentrim Arrgghh, I don't know why I write anything after 10:00PM. I have trouble spelling my own name.
My best,
Phil

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Phil??? you do crack me up.. ... I would say especially after a few glasses of libation as well.

William Bentrim Libation, isn't that country in a state of turmoil. I think it was something about red wine being either less filling or more flavorful. I'm thinking perhaps a pinot noir would be the appropriate fuel for blogging. Pinot blogair would see that I maintain the appropriate state of dignity for my verbiage. No libating today, the gkids and I are going fishing for the first time. I even bought them poles, hers is pink, of course. Assuming I don't get blood poisoning from the inevitable hooking, it should be fun. Grandparenting is a hoot.
my best