Bucko's Reviews > Rocket Boys

Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: hollywood, non-fiction, memoir-autobiography
Read in June, 2011

Homer Hickam recounts how he and his classmates, inspired by the launch of Sputnick, taught themselves (with a little help from some key adults) how to build rockets in the late 1950s. Hickam proves himself a more than capable storyteller, mixing equal parts nostalgia, humor, and teenage angst as he tells his story, including a warts-and-all look at his hometown and the coal company which gave it life. The result is a finely crafted tale of heartbreak and consternation, despair and, ultimately, triumph.

His relationship with his parents was compelling in its complexity, and I appreciated the honest look at himself, his strengths and foibles, as he progressed through his journey.

A first rate book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocket Boys.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Y'know, I like the movie so much I own it, but I've never actually read the book. I should!

Bucko The movie is different enough that the book will still probably surprise you in spots. It's been a while since I watched the movie, but I didn't remember his mother being so important to him in the film, at least not as complex.