Maddi Sojourner's Reviews > The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Heroine's Bookshelf by Erin Blakemore

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: to-read, book-club, did-not-finish
Read in July, 2011

From the discussion at Book Club, it seems this was not the right book for me. It's a series of essays on classic heroines of literature, and I had only read two of the books covered here, although I was familiar with two more plot lines due to either a movie or play.

Yes, that means I have never read Anne of Green Gables or Pride and Prejudice or most of the other works covered. But I've read many a book review that left me eager and willing to read the book discussed. The author didn't write her book for people like me though; she assumed her reader had definitely read all these books.

As a kid, I was the tomboy who wouldn't read "Girl's books," meaning if the girl wasn't going to have a grand adventure, I probably didn't want to read about it. Kidnapped by pirates was more interesting than doing farm chores or holding down the home front during a war.

I realize I'm not the best person to say this book fails in making its case. Perhaps it would succeed had I been able to stick with it to get to a chapter covering the two books I had actually read: The Color Purple and To Kill a Mockingbird. I agree, I need to do something about not having read Pride and Prejudice, but I still felt the book should have made an attempt to convince me to read every book in it if I hadn't already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroine's Bookshelf.