Rachel's Reviews > Academy 7

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: ya-books
Read in June, 2011

I know a book has problems when I put it down on page 219 (out of 259 pages) and can't be bothered to pick it up again to finish.

It had an interesting premise: Two teenagers at the elitest academy in the galaxy. One is an ex-slave. One is the son of the galaxy's leader.

The execution was not so good.

The world-building didn't work (As the top 50 students in a world of hundred and hundreds of populated planets, I'd expect these kids to be pretty smart. But the 'queenbee' is walking cliche for a high-school beauty queen. The debate class topics are only hit about a 6th grade level. And the teachers are idiotic at best.).

The language was all over the place - I found myself rewriting the prose as I went (ie: 'A chill shuddered her torso.' No, no, no. 'A chill shuddered THROUGH her torso.' (otherwise the chill is outside of her with its hands on her torso, shaking her)). Some of the metaphors were so odd, I had no idea what the author was talking about.

The plot itself was pretty weak. The giant shpere thingy (which hides the super-computer they need to reach) seemed like a device. The way to get into it was just silly.

This could have been a good YA romance/sci-fi, but it just wasn't.

P.S. I did force myself to finish. After all I'd come so far (admittedly skimming, but still).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academy 7.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Missc The author probably used "A chill shuddered her torso." as a personification. But other than that misinterpretation* in your review, I would have to agree. I didn't enjoy this book at all.