John's Reviews > Scalped, Vol. 4: The Gravel in Your Guts

Scalped, Vol. 4 by Jason Aaron

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: graphic
Read from October 03 to 11, 2011

This volume starts with a guest artist, Davide Furno, illustrating a central 2-part story that finally gives some pathos to Lincoln Red Crow’s daughter Carol, whose role until now has been that of prodigal daughter to Red Crow and spiteful fuck buddy to Dash Bad Horse. Aaron plays the mother card with her similarly to the last volume; it’ll get me every time. After that story, the camera zooms back out to the crime-ridden rez and all its scumbag denizens, with gore galore, including a powerfully bloody show down between Red Crow and the ever-creepy Mr. Brass, the last scene that’s predicated on Brass’s torture of probably my favorite character of the series (I won’t say who). I think my mistake when starting this series was hoping for something like HBO’s The Wire, where all the carnage and backbiting serves a complex and intense political statement. I’ve now come to think of this series much like another HBO series, Deadwood, and I just enjoy watching the bodies stack up in Aaron’s morally black vision.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scalped, Vol. 4.