Sara's Reviews > Dead Rules

Dead Rules by Randy Russell

Jun 24, 11

Read in June, 2011

Dead Rules by Randy Russel follows Jenna who finds herself on a school bus going to a mystery school. She soon realizes that she is attending a school for the dead. The school has different types of students dependent on how they died. Jenna is a Riser, one of the good kids who died by an accident. Jana is obsessed with her boyfriend and is determined to kill him so they can be together forever but things are not as simple as she would like them to be.

I really enjoyed this book. It was original and different and unlike anything I've read in a long time. The idea of following ghosts from their world (as opposed to from the human side) was different. I enjoyed reading about the different ways the characters died and the hierarchy in which they were placed in the school because of their death. It's sort of sick and twisted and comedic at the same time. The book is not action packed but there is enough humor and mystery to keep one interested.

Appropriateness: I was worried that this book would glamorize death but it does the opposite as the more connected a student is to their death the worse their placement in the school with the suicides not being able to interact or be themselves. The book has many cautionary tales as to keeping oneself safe and the dangers of drunk driving. Aside from the kids who died while drunk driving and talks of others using drugs and ruining their lives there is no substance abuse and there is no sexual content. I would recommend this book to teens 13+ who are fans of paranormal and ghost stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Rules.