Daniel's Reviews > Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today

Scripture and the Authority of God by N.T. Wright

Jun 24, 11

Read in June, 2011

Scripture and the Authority of God is certainly much better with the addition of the final two expository chapters. The original section - the contents of The Last Word - was not altogether inspiring. I suppose I was looking for a book that would show how the Bible is both absolutely authoritative and inspired while still acknowledging that there are some difficult and seemingly contradictory passages. Though N. T. Wright cleverly reinterprets the phrase 'authority of scripture' to mean 'the authority of God exercised through scripture', I wasn't convinced that this reinterpretation warranted an entire book. However, in the final two chapters where Wright applies the preceding theory to the issues of the Sabbath and polygamy, his view of the authority of scripture shines and is rendered much more clearly. Here we see that Wright is not one who will argue that 'because the Bible condones X in a certain passage, X is permitted', nor would he argue that 'because we are in the age of grace, X is permitted'. Rather, his hermeneutic is much more subtle and takes into consideration the whole of scripture and the five acts that it supports.

Note: N. T. Wright's understanding of deconstruction and postmodernism seem to be a bit off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scripture and the Authority of God.