Elizabeth Severance's Reviews > Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses

Academically Adrift by Richard Arum

Sep 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011
Read from September 04 to 18, 2011

As a college advisor, who spends time convincing students to go to college, this book was a little depressing. It raises important questions about what the goal of colleges and universities is, however. More recently, I think higher education has been more focused on educating the whole student, a more social education; therefore, they have not focused as much on instruction in undergraduate courses. I kept thinking back to my undergraduate career and wondering how much I had learned during my first two years. I know I learned so much, but I wonder if it would have been obvious or measurable on any test. The book read like a long research paper. I really only read a little more than half of the book as the rest of the book was methodology, notes, bibliography, and the index. This book would have been an interesting addition to my grad school exit paper on college graduation rates in Texas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academically Adrift.

09/05/2011 page 56