Shayantani Das's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Feb 06, 2012

Read from January 28 to February 06, 2012

"Who can listen to objections regarding such a book as this? It seems to me a national benefit, and to every man or woman who reads it, a personal kindness." - Thackeray..

I don’t need Christmas to read this book. “God bless us all!”
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

Quotes Shayantani Liked

Charles Dickens
“You are fettered," said Scrooge, trembling. "Tell me why?"
"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”

Charles Dickens
“Old Marley was as dead as a doornail.

Mind! I don't mean to say that, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a doornail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a doornail.”

Charles Dickens
“No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused”
Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

01/28/2012 "reading this book again for the 5th or 6th time."
01/28/2012 "I have always thought of Christmas-time as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys."
01/28/2012 ""Why do you doubt your senses?"

"Because," said Scrooge, "a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!""
02/05/2012 "There were ruddy, brown-faced, broad-girthed Spanish onions, shining in the fatness of their growth like Spanish Friars, and winking from their shelves in wanton slyness at the girls as they went by, and glanced demurely at the hung-up mistletoe."

Richard This is a classic. Many people make a tradition of reading it around Christmas.

Shayantani Das I cook up any excuse I can to read it. This would be my 8th time. My excuse this time is that I had uncharitable thoughts towards certain people.

Thus I need ghosts to scare some sense into my ‘Humbug’ brain. :P

message 3: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya What a reason to read, Tanu. I read this for the first and only time in school. Last Christmas I watched the movie.

Shayantani Das Pragya wrote: "What a reason to read, Tanu. I read this for the first and only time in school. Last Christmas I watched the movie."

Even I read it in school, but it was the short version. You should read the full novella sometimes, its really good.
How was the movie btw?

Nandakishore Varma Tanu, you go through books at an unbelievable rate. Don't you do anything else?

Vishy Love what Thackeray said :) I loved this book too. Love your 4-stars. Have you seen the movie version?

Shayantani Das Nandakishore wrote: "Tanu, you go through books at an unbelievable rate. Don't you do anything else?"

Haha. Actually my reading speed is not that super sonic. I started this book waay ago. I just got over a really busy week so, as a way of relaxing, I have been reading non stop this weekend. I still have Communal Manifesto to finish.

I wish I didn’t have to do anything else. *sigh*. I guess I am just good at time management. Plus I strictly avoid facebook and Television , and carry a novel around with me everywhere. I “sneak read” a lot of books between lectures. :P

Shayantani Das Vishy wrote: "Love what Thackeray said :) I loved this book too. Love your 4-stars. Have you seen the movie version?"

Not yet, how is it?

Vishy Tanu wrote: "Vishy wrote: "Love what Thackeray said :) I loved this book too. Love your 4-stars. Have you seen the movie version?"

Not yet, how is it?"

The movie version I saw is called 'Scrooged'. It is a modern adaptation of the novel and I liked it very much. I haven't seen the recent movie adaptation starring Jim Carey.

Vishy Tanu wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Tanu, you go through books at an unbelievable rate. Don't you do anything else?"

Love the fact that you "sneak-read" between lectures :)

Nandakishore Varma Tanu wrote: "I still have Communal Manifesto to finish."

message 12: by Richard (last edited Feb 06, 2012 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Richard Nandakishore wrote: "Tanu wrote: "I still have Communal Manifesto to finish."

It is Communist Manifesto. Freudian slip... or were you being purposefully sarcastic? Not expected of you, comrade!"

@ Nandakishore: Comedians of all countries, unite! ;)

@ Tanu: There have been many film versions of this over the years. The best one, IMHO, was made in 1951. The British title is "Scrooge" but it was released as "A Christmas Carol" in the United States. Here is a link to some info:

I also take books with me wherever I go.

Shayantani Das Something more boring like a typo actually :P

message 14: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya Tanu wrote: "Pragya wrote: "What a reason to read, Tanu. I read this for the first and only time in school. Last Christmas I watched the movie."

Even I read it in school, but it was the short version. You s..."

I am going to read the full novella sometime soon. In fact I am on a classic-read marathon this week. :)

The movie I saw was animation. I think it was good.

Nandakishore Varma Richard, I was pulling Tanu's leg, because she is from Bengal, and I am from Kerala-the last bastions of communism in India, perhaps in the world...?

Richard Thank you for explaining this. My sense of the geography and politics in that part of the world is sketchy at best, as my interest is more for religion and literature. I still think you and Tanu are quite the comedians!

Nandakishore Varma Yes, we love bantering. :D