Doreen's Reviews > The Devil's Tickets: A Vengeful Wife, a Fatal Hand, and a New American Age

The Devil's Tickets by Gary M. Pomerantz

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways
Recommended to Doreen by: Goodreads Giveaway!!!
Recommended for: bridge-players...and/or history/murder enthusiasts
Read from March 31 to April 03, 2012 — I own a copy

Wow! I really liked this book. The story is about bridge, murder, self-promotion, prohibition, marriage, 20's and 30's American history, philandering, our past court system, ... a dozen or more topics that caused me to take to the computer and search out particulars mentioned in this book.

Picking up the book, I knew NOTHING about the game of bridge. The author does a fine job of describing the game, its origins and its rise in popularity. The first fifty pages or so is dedicated to laying out the groundwork for the key players, so it does start out slowly and rather dry at first. I'm glad I continued reading!

I learned of events in history that I NEVER would have known about, save for this book! Yes, the story is about a killing committed during a game of bridge in September, 1929, in Kansas City, Missouri. And, it is about the bridge tournament touted as, "The Bridge Battle of the Century", begun in NYC in December, 1931, lasting more than 30 days. The characters involved are colorful, their lives are intriguing. The common denominator is the game of bridge, with all its variables. And, the story upholds the idea that 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'. Human flaws and weaknesses, as well as personal aggrandizement, continue through the decades...(think the OJ Simpson trial, reality TV, etc.)

The author gives a special treat, more than 75 years later, by seeking out friends and relatives of these people, gathering information on them, following their 'claims to fame'. It was interesting, and surprising, to know how these people lived, and eventually died.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Tickets.

03/31/2012 page 48