Shayantani Das's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Jul 09, 14

bookshelves: emotional-drama, excellent-prose, overrated, short-and-sweet, well-developed-plot
Recommended to Shayantani by: Vinaya
Read in January, 2012

How is it, that I am capable of empathizing with war victims, citizens from dystopian worlds, religious Jews, animated characters, speaking tress, even Serial Killers! (Dexter dearest); but when it’s non-Indian teenagers and their issues, my mind stops empathizing and starts judging. This book deserves at least 4 stars, and Melinda Marchetta is a fabulous author; still, I can not for the life of me, stop scoffing, and start crying about Francesca’s fate.

ps: Will is a massive eyesore in the book. The “I like you but we can’t be together” kinda guy. I keep wishing, that one day, the girl would also say, “you are right, we really can’t” and move one. Apparently, that’s too much to ask!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Shayantani Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”
Melina Marchetta, Saving Francesca

01/05/2012 "Nooooo! Please, the book's been perfect this faar. Not the Will guy! Let it be Jimmy, or that jerk guy who is actually sensitive. Just not the "I don't want to like him But I can't help it” thing."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pragya It's a light, cute book. :)

message 2: by Mith (new)

Mith HOW many books are you reading right now?!

Shayantani Das Mith wrote: "HOW many books are you reading right now?!"

hehe,4 books.
I am just enjoying my 10 day break before its over and life catches up.

Arielle Walker I definitely don't disagree about Will, he annoyed the hell out of me. But as far as Mia - the whole point is that she didn't just "sit down and have some thinking time" - depression is a debilitating illness, just because it is mental rather than physical does not make it any lesser.

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Bernard Love the review :) so much honesty made my day!!