Dee's Reviews > The Mating

The Mating by Nicky Charles

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, shifters, wolves, freebie-smashwords
Recommended for: Anyone who likes PNR
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

Another great one from Nicky Charles and what makes it even better is that this and the others in the series are free from Smashwords. The only thing Nicky asks is that you make a donation to your local animal shelter or foodbank which in my opinion is a lovely and thoughtful thing to do ☺

Once again I thoroughly enjoyed this one and am regretting that I left it so long before actually picking it up and reading it. Like the first one I read (0.5 in the series) I was once again up until the early hours of the morning as I didn't want to leave it before finishing.

I really liked the character of Elise and felt quite sorry for her that her father just sprang an arranged marriage on her. She had no warning at all - she came home and her dad introduces her to the man she is gonna marry and then the next thing we know there is a mating ceremony and the poor thing has to then be subjected to having the bedsheets shown around the next morning as proof that she was a virgin and that the mating had been consumated. I didn't like the fact that she slept with him immediately despite only having just met him and suposedly was in love with someone else. Yes I know this is normal in PNR but usually both characters feel the mating bond immediately and then get together but neither of these two felt that so it was kind of strange even for this genre. For a werewolf I thought that Kane was a mild mannered man and was kind and considerate towards Elise which made us, the reader, immediately soften to him and thought he was a special man. I do agree with most other reviewers here and that is I wish we had seen more of Kane's perspective rather than just from Elise.

These books are not short/novella length but are full size. This one registered as 314 pages on my Ereader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mating.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie Glad you enjoyed this one, Dee! :) Nice review, too!

Karla Great review Dee. Nicky Charles does such a fantastic job and then to offer her books free...amazing! She'd rather her readers donate money to help out animals...awesome!

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee @Leslie Thanks Leslie....I see you only gave it 2 stars so obviously not your cup of tea.

@Karla Thanks Karla I have really enjoyed the 2 I have read so far and yeah it is really nice/special of her to ask that donations be given to help animals. I saw that you enjoyed them too!

@Baba Thanks sweetie ☺

message 5: by Vashti (new) - added it

Vashti I have all of her books to read in my huge TBR pile,glad that you are enjoying her .

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Vashti wrote: "I have all of her books to read in my huge TBR pile,glad that you are enjoying her ."

You need to push them up to the top of the pile Vashti. I originally got them nearly a year ago and kept meaning to read them but they kept getting pushed down the list :)

message 7: by Vashti (new) - added it

Vashti I know,I snapped them up myself,and for some reason never just got aroung to reading them,but will deff start them now thanks to you.

message 8: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Great review Dee :D I checked it when I read your review of the second book of the series since you said it must be read in order. It's free on Smashwords?

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Erika wrote: "Great review Dee :D I checked it when I read your review of the second book of the series since you said it must be read in order. It's free on Smashwords?"

Thanks sweetie...Yeah all of them are they are still free on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/searc...

message 10: by Erika (new) - added it