Danielle Louise's Reviews > The Dogs Who Found Me: What I've Learned from Pets Who Were Left Behind

The Dogs Who Found Me by Ken Foster

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir, dogs, src-winter-2011-2012
Read from December 08 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

It is proving very difficult for me to review this book. I purchased it in March 2006 when our bookstore reopened post-Katrina, but then I let it sit on my shelf for five and a half years because I wasn't sure I was ready to read it. Sure enough, even now, the chapter about the storm hit me hard. (He mentions a man and woman evacuating in two separate vehicles with dogs and birds. I met them while evacuating, too, and that memory hit me vividly when I read that part.)

So, the end of the book was very emotional for me and is clouding my ability to write a coherent review.

But. It's a good book, especially if you're a dog lover. Maybe even if you're not a dog lover. It's not a typical "dog book." It is, as the subtitle says, a book about the things Ken Foster has learned along the way. It is about his journey from not-really-a-dog-person to being the kind of person who evacuates for a hurricane with dog food but no personal documents.

The story is bookended by 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, but it's also not a book about either of those events. It's a book about a man and his (sometimes complicated) relationships with the dogs who come in and out of his life. It is by turns funny, sad, heart-warming, and even brutal. Foster's writing style may not be for everyone, but it felt very real to me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dogs Who Found Me.

12/08/2011 page 94
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay Murphy I understand how something close to home... can be very hard to read.... Nice, honest review!