Julie Longchamp's Reviews > Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning

Teaching Digital Natives by Marc Prensky

F_50x66
Jun 24, 11

Read in June, 2011

While agreed with much of this book, I disagree with some of the comments around teachers and technology. Although I was not born in the digital age, I embrace it. My dad and brother built Heathkit personal computers in our basement and by 1984, I was composing all my writing online. I don't think Prensky gives teachers enough credit! I agree with his comments around students and technology. As teachers, we need to give students opportunities to create and stay away unless needed. I can show a student a program and within minutes of use they have figured out how to do things I didn't know. They show other students, raising the level of expertise for all. I also agree with Presnky on the importance of developing good questions and focusing on learning vs. teaching. There are times, however, where carefully crafted teacher lessons are important. Such lessons need to be interactive and engaging, and with purpose. When teaching a new math concept, providing experiences to help learners make connections and derive meaning is critical. For example, students can discover algorithms in math through teacher created activities. Students could easily search the web to learn how, but this isn't deep thinking. overall, a good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teaching Digital Natives.